The Round-Up – FAWPL 05/03/17

The Round-Up

FAWPL – Sunday 5th March

March started off pretty much the same as February and January before that with a whole host of postponements across the whole of the region that saw 50% of the scheduled fixtures lost to the heavy ran that fell over the weekend. Some big games did beat the weather however most notably in the FAWPL Cup and Plate competitions which had reached the semi-final stage with 3 of the 4 games taking place.


 In the FAWPL Cup it will be an all Southern Division final and two familiar adversaries contesting yet another trophy. FAWPL Cup holders, Tottenham Hotspur Ladies were hosting Cardiff City Ladies in this years competition having beaten them in the final itself last season 2-1 to lift the trophy. Tottenham aiming to reach their 2nd successive FAWPL Cup final took the lead on the half hour Wendy Martin (pictured) turning Rhianna Soobadoo’s cross into the back of the net. 1-0 the lead at the break, Leah Rawle was on hand to turn the back into the back of the net after Cardiff City goalkeeper Zoe Atkins initially palmed Martin’s shot away to make it 2-0. Nikita Whinnett making the result safe for Tottenham scoring their 3rd in the last 10 minutes to see them celebrating reaching another final as their impressive unbeaten run goes on.

Playing Tottenham Hotspur Ladies in the FAWPL Cup final will be, Charlton Athletic Women although they were forced into extra-time after a 2nd half come back from opponents Blackburn Rovers Ladies. The current leaders of both the Northern and Southern Division’s. Kit Graham put Charlton 1-0 with just under 10 minutes of the 1st half left a narrow advantage at the break the home side doubled their lead early in the 2nd half Gemma Shephard with another goal as she settles back in where she left off after her injury layoff. 

  Blackburn Rovers came back into the game getting it back to 2-1 with 15 minutes left to play, Saffron Jordon getting the goal and with less than 5 minutes of the 90 left the visitors equalised, Lynda Shepherd making it 2-2 to force the semi-final into extra-time. Stefanie Simmons having come on for Charlton with lass that 15 minutes left of normal time the hero in extra-time scoring 2 goals late in the 2nd period of the 15. 4-2 the lead Blackburn Rovers pulled one goal back at the death Jordon with her 2nd of the game, a red for Blackburn’s Ellie Stewart at the end of the game 2 shown a 2nd yellow card as they exit the competition  


Whilst Leicester City WFC & Lewes Ladies will have to try again this coming Sunday to reach the final of the FAWPL Plate after their semi-final was postponed they both know who they will face in the final next month as FAWPL Northern Division side, Huddersfield Town Ladies over came FAWPL South East Division One side, Actonians Ladies to book their spot in this season’s final. Actonians Ladies travelled north knowing a side from their Division had reached the final of the FAWPL Plate just last season a memorable occasion for Enfield Town Ladies if not the result. This Sunday no home soil their higher league opponents proving too strong were leading 4-0 at half-time 2 goals for Emily Heller along with a goal a piece for Katie Mallin and Katie Nutter. Heller completed her hat-trick 10 minutes into the 2nd half Charley Evans scoring Huddersfield’s 6th goal in a 6-1 win, Jessica Byrne scoring for Actonians as their fantastic run in the competition comes to an end.

FAWPL South East Division One 

 Two games played in FAWPL South East Division One on Sunday and Gillingham FC Ladies move to within a point of league leaders Milton Keynes Dons Ladies after a comfortable win at home against Enfield Town Ladies. Felicity Gibbons (pictured) setting the ball rolling scoring inside the 1st minute for Gillingham. Jenny Newman had Gillingham 2-0 in the 8th minute. Gibbons adding a 2nd goal to her tally with 20 minutes played as Gillingham set about taking control of the game. Recently signed Rosie Kmita making it 4-0 before half-time. Gibbons went on to complete her hat-trick with 3 minutes of the 2nd half starting captain Jade Keogh also on target in the 2nd half to see Gillingham win 6-0 remain unbeaten in the league with games in hand on the leaders too.

Moving up a place in the FAWPL South East Division One table are AFC Wimbledon Ladies moving above Cambridge United WFC who saw their game away to Lowestoft Town Ladies postponed into 3rd place. Away on Sunday playing Stevenage Ladies, Katie Stanley gave AFC Wimbledon an early lead scoring in the 2nd minute. Stanley added a 2nd goal midway through the 1st half to see the visitors lead 2-0 at the break, Stevenage missing a chance to reduce the deficit shooting wide from the penalty spot. A flurry of goals late in the 2nd half as captain Donna McGuigan pulled a goal back from a corner for Stevenage. Getting it back to 2-1 AFC  Wimbledon ended the game in storming fashion 5 minutes left to play a quickfire double from Rebecca Sargent made it 4-1, time for another goal with just a minute left Laura Low netting to make the final score 5-1 and see AFC Wimbledon take the 3 points home with them.