The Round-Up – FAWNL 25/08/19

The Round-Up

Sunday 25th August

FAWNL Cup Determining Round

  Into the 2nd weekend of the FAWNL season and the attention moves to the League Cup competitions with the now traditional Determining Round, all sides across the six divisions drawn together with the winning sides going on to compete for the FAWNL Cup the losing sides the FAWNL Plate. Always throws up some intriguing ties and some unexpected results. This Sunday played in sweltering temperatures right across the country. 14 ties featuring sides playing in the Southern Premier Division and South East Division One.

Women’s Football East was at one of those ties with a trip to Letchworth and The County Ground home of the Hertfordshire FA and now South East Division One side Stevenage FC Women as they hosted Southern Premier Division side Yeovil Town Women. Last season a fully professional outfit playing in the FAWSL, financial struggles seeing them not only relegated from tier one but no licence given for a place in the Championship. Now though a much brighter outlook for Yeovil as they begin life in the Southern Premier Division, with new ownership hopefully spurring on a resurgence. 

 Incredibly hot Letchworth boasting a brand new 3G playing surface with plenty of rubber underfoot. A few missing for Stevenage as Yeovil quickly got on the front foot, goalkeeper Hannah Vandersluis keeping Yeovil at bay until the 20th minute Kelly Aldridge linking with Sarah Wiltshire on the left seeing captain Annie Heatherson set up to blast in a shot from outside the area to make it 1-0. A flowing move from back to front bringing up the 2nd Heatherson long out to Wiltshire left she playing the early ball through the middle as Meesha Dudley-Jones breaks into the area to score. Quickly 3-0 as Aldridge is upended inside the area for a penalty Wiltshire opening up her body with a composed finish. Yeovil dominating the first half leading 3-0.

Yeovil’s Kelly Aldridge with Stevenage’s Cara Breckenridge

Te’a Oldroyd replacing Vandersluis in the Stevenage goal at half-time, was soon picking the ball up out of the back of her net as Dudley-Jones stole in to win the ball off the defence and take it on into the box to shoot and score 4-0. Dudley-Jones capitalising from a knock down from a corner to smash the ball in a close range to make it 5-0 and complete her hat-trick. The ball in the back of the net as Wiltshire ghosted in between defenders from a free-kick to fire home but was quick to hold her hands up and admit to handling the ball to get into a shooting position. Mattered little as Wiltshire had a 2nd moments later no doubt about this one jinking left and right wide left before sending a long range shot into the top corner. Stevenage forced to go down to 10 with injuries mounting and all subs used Yeovil were on top and Megan Wood put through on goal scored a 7th late on. A convincing result to cap a dominant performance. The full match report can be found below this post.

Elsewhere there was a notable giant killing on Sunday as Cambridge City Ladies newly promoted to the FAWNL South East Division One beat Chichester City Ladies who recorded a 3rd place finish in the Southern Premier Division. A trip down south for Cambridge City knew they would be up against it short on numbers having only the bare 11 available. Working hard on the heat to keep Chichester out Cambridge City scored two quickfire goals on the half hour through Beatrice Fitzsimons and Charlotte Gillies to lead 2-0 at the break. Chichester responding with a triple change at half-time put in an improved 2nd half performance but Cambridge hit them on the counter attack early in the 2nd half and with the keeper off her line Megan Tonks scores to put the visitors 3-0 ahead. Chichester pushed as City held firm a stunning strike from 30 yards from Chichester captain Megan Fox puling a goal back with 10 minutes left on the clock not enough a Cambridge City held out for a memorable win.

An all Southern Premier Division tie saw Watford Ladies travelling down to the South Coast for the 2nd time to face Portsmouth FC Women. A 2-0 away win for the Golden Girls on the opening day. A different story this time around Portsmouth creating opportunities in regular play seeing an effort ruled out for offside, Helen Ward coming close for Watford it remained goalless after 90 minutes the game heading to extra-time. The deadlock broken by the hosts a Tamsin De Bungen fired in a shot from the edge of the area to make it 1-0 in the first period. The lead doubled Rebecca Bath smashing in a shot off the underside of the bar saw Portsmouth progress the the Cup proper winning 2-0.

   Cardiff City Ladies were at South West Division One side Maidenhead United Ladies in this Sunday’s Determining Round. The Southern Premier Division making a great start as Grace Horrell headed them into the lead inside the opening 5 minutes. A screamer from Chloe Lloyd seeing the lead doubled in the 21st minute. Simone O’Brien scoring for the hosts late in the first half to see Maidenhead trailing 2-1 at half-time. Cardiff restoring their 2 goal lead in the 2nd half with Kelly Issac scoring from long range. The visitors awarded a penalty Cori Williams scoring from the spot made it 4-1 before Lloyd scored another screamer to see the game won 5-1.

 Keynsham Town Ladies newly promoted to the Southern Premier Division were playing their 1st game of the season on Sunday as they hosted Buckland Athletic Women form South West Division One in the Determining Round. The visitors taking the lead inside the opening 15 minutes with Sarah Stacey finding the back of the net. Keynsham getting back on level terms just past the half hour with Annys Turner grabbing the goal to make it 1-1. That how it remained deep into the game the winning goal coming in the 84th minute, Libby Piggott celebrating the goal as Keynsham claimed a 2-1 victory.

An 84th minute goal was also enough to clinch victory in the Determining Round of the FAWNL Cup for Crawley Wasps Ladies as the newly promoted side travelled to fellow Southern Premier Division opponents Oxford United Women who were also playing their first competitive match of the season. 18 goals for their captain Naomi Cole last season on their way to the South East Division One title, Cole scoring late on this Sunday to make it 2 wins from 2.

Another giant killing in the South West as Southern Premier Division side Plymouth Argyle Ladies were beaten in a 7 goal thriller against local rivals Exeter City Women newly promoted to South West Division One. A few missing for Plymouth they fell behind in the 18th minute as Exeter’s Anthea Kaptein fired home to make it 1-0. Plymouth drawing back level on the half hour with Amber Pollock on target. Exeter scoring in the closing moments of the first half to lead 2-1 at the break Kaptein netting her 2nd of the game. Plymouth making a bright start to the 2nd half straight back on level terms Jessie Jones scoring to make it 2-2. The visitors though were to concede almost straight away as Abbie Britton put Exeter back into the lead for the 3rd time in the match. Kaptein completing her hat-trick midway through the 2nd half giving Exeter a valuable 2 goal cushion. Pollock scoring her 2nd of the match making it 4-3, Plymouth couldn’t find another however as Exeter recorded a memorable win.

A positive 3-0 away win to start their season, Milton Keynes Dons Women were on the road once again this Sunday along the M4 to take on Swindon Town Ladies in the Determining Round. Looked to be heading for a goalless scoreline at half-time before Louise Naylor won the ball up the pitch and her cross into the box was nodded in at the far post by Amy Gooderham to make it 1-0 to the Southern Premier Division side. Leah Littlechild then struck twice in the 2nd half to see Milton Keynes in full control of the tie lobbing the keeper in the 60th minute her 2nd a half volley into the top corner to make it 3-0 with 15 minutes left. Mia Chiarizia’s cross in towards goal deflected in to the goal to see the tie won 4-0.

Essex side Billericay Town Ladies were playing host to South West Division One side Cheltenham Town Ladies in Sunday’s Determining Round. Billericay runners-up in South East Division One last season getting off to a fantastic start a brilliant ball from Sophie Vale turned in by Karissa Rodney. More chances came for the hosts, Cheltenham though where to get back on level terms on 22 minutes Sally Butterflied heading home to make it 1-1. The honours even at the break Billericay retaking the lead 10 minutes into the 2nd period winning a penalty, Danica Dougal making no mistake from the spot to put the hosts 2-1 up. The lead extended midway through the 2nd half with Jay Blackie on target to see Billericay to a 3-1 win.

A long trip to the South Coast for South East Division One side, Ipswich Town Women in the Determining Round of the FAWNL Cup on Sunday taking on Southampton FC from South West Division One. A strong first half from the hosts setting up victory as Ella Pusey put Southampton into the lead on 16 minutes. Sophie Pharoah doubling the advantage just before the half hour two goals late in the first half from Alisha Ware seeing Southampton lead 4-0 at the break. Phoebe Williams netting a 5th goal 15 minutes into the 2nd half so after Ware brought up her hat-trick to see Southampton win 6-0.

Elsewhere there were a host of tie featuring an all South East Division One line up. The game between Actonians Ladies and AFC Wimbledon Ladies abandoned in the 90th minute with the sides drawing 1-1 due to an injury to an Actonians player an ambulance required. Have no further news will update if I learn more can only wish the player involved well and hope it’s not too serious.

Opening day away wins for both Enfield Town Ladies and Norwich City Ladies in the league they met in the cup this Sunday with Norwich making the trip down to Donkey Lane. Enfield making a bright start taking the lead inside the opening 10 minutes with Katherine Long firing them into the lead with her 2nd of the season. A narrow advantage at half-time. Enfield doubled the lead in the 57th minute Laura Baker scoring the late winner against Cambridge United last Sunday also on target with her 2nd goal of the season for her new club. Enfield winning 2-0.

Katherine Long scored the opening goal in Enfield’s 2-0 win over Norwich

   Also a 2-0 scoreline as Kent Football United newly promoted to the FAWNL South East Division One played at home for the first time competitively this season against AFC Basildon Women. The victory going to the visitors from Essex as they edged out Kent Football United to progress the the FAWNL Cup proper.

Extra-time and a 7 goal thriller in the final match to bring you from this Sunday’s Determining Round games, Cambridge United WFC heading down to London to play Leyton Orient WFC. Played in sweltering heat it was the visitors who opened the scoring with Kelley Blanchflower finding the back of the net in the 10th minute. Otesha Charles getting Leyton Orient back on level terms in the 19th minute. That remained the scoreline at half-time. Cambridge getting their noses in front early in the 2nd period with Faith Hewitt scrambling the ball home from a corner. The lead though lasting just 3 minutes a stunning half volley from Michelle Young from outside the area making it 2-2. Charles put through to score her 2nd of the game saw Leyton Orient lead 3-2. Cambridge battling away forcing extra-time with a goal at the death of normal time Mollie Coupar with the finish. Late heartbreak for Cambridge last weekend it was another crushing late goal deep into extra-time that saw Leyton Orient clinch victory a corner put in deep Ellie Stanning rising at the back post heading the ball down inside the post to win the game.

A hot weekend some great performances no one out at this stage we await the draws for both competitions.