The Round-Up – Women’s FA Cup 13/10/19

The Round-Up

Sunday 13th October

Women’s FA Cup

  Three ties played in the region this Sunday after being postponed last weekend due to the heavy rain. Conditions not much better this Sunday but the rain held off in the morning meaning all three got the go ahead. Good news it was to one of these Women’s Football East headed a trip to Plantation Park to watch the all FAWNL South East Division One clash between Norwich City Women and Cambridge United WFC. A good contest the sides fairly even the result could have gone either way.

 Norwich starting well and capitalising with an early goal the ball won back high up the picked fired into Keunna Dill central 25 yards out taking it out of her feet to make room to shoot lifted the ball up past the keeper to score. Cambridge coming back into it Amy Howlett breaking clear to chase into the box committing the keeper seeing her shot come back off the post. Moments later Cambridge were level striker Kelley Blanchflower away on the left a powerful run taking her into the box evading a challenge before smashing the ball home. The goalkeepers for both sides thwarting more scoring opportunities Norwich retaking the lead right on the stroke of half-time a free-kick won outside Cambridge’s box on the left fired in captain Millie Daviss getting her head on it to turn the ball wide of the keeper to make it 2-1.

Norwich City Women captain, Millie Daviss scoring late in the first half to put the club 2-1 up

  Norwich with the narrow lead going into the 2nd half Cambridge continuing to press Blanchflower ready to break at any opportunity Emma Jenkins releasing her on the left another strong run on the ball striking from the edge of the box to level the scores for the 2nd time in the game. Heading into the final 10 minutes the result looking wide open the ball found its way through to Aimee Durrant 25 yards out right of goal she struck it well lifting her shot up and over the keeper to put Norwich 3-2 ahead. A case then of keeping Cambridge off the ball late on the hosts going on to win and reach 3rd Round Qualifying where they will be away to East Anglian rivals Ipswich Town Women.

  Ipswich themselves were at home taking on ERWFL Premier Division side Royston Town Women.Manager Joe Sheehan introducing several of the clubs talented U21 squad into the first team this season, it was one of their senior players celebrating a huge milestone this Sunday however with captain Amanda Crump making her 200th appearance for the club. A fantastic achievement, a player that is often influential in the heart of midfield for the club. Congratulations.

200 club appearances for Ipswich Town Women’s Amanda Crump (photo credit Ross Media UK))

Crump involved in the build-up to the first goal cutting the ball back to striker Maddie Biggs to smash home midway through the first half. The hosts quickly going 2-0 up with Eloise King firing into the top corner a minute later. King striking the crossbar too along with Crump seeing a shot rattle the woodwork Ipswich 2-0 up at half-time. Biggs with her 2nd of the game extending Ipswich’s lead on the hour firing home from inside the box. A flurry of goals coming in the final 20 minutes as Ipswich went on to secure a comfortable result. Crump getting on the scoresheet in the 70th minute making it 4-0. Lindsey Cooper making it 5 a few minutes later heading in Paige Peake’s cross. Into the final 6 minutes King getting her 2nd of the game latching onto the ball spilled in the area following an Amy-Leigh Abrehart free-kick. A minute later Crump adding her 2nd of the game shooting into the bottom corner to see the game won 7-0.

One more tie to bring you again with plenty of action to cover as Beds & Herts Women’s Division One club St Albans Ladies travelled to Ely City FC on Sunday to play FAWNL South East Division One side Cambridge City Ladies. Three leagues between the sides St Albans coming close to causing a huge upset the visitors going into the changing rooms leading 2-0 at half-time. Kayla Johnson firing St Albans into a 21st minute lead. Eleanor Lovelock making it 2 with a goal close to half-time.

   Cambridge City coming out strong at the start of the 2nd half pulling a goal back within 3 minutes of the restart striker Megan Tonks hitting a looping volley past the keeper in the 48th minute. St Albans battling did well to hold on to their lead creating opportunities too a shot against the crossbar, the game heading into the final 7 minutes Holly Rossington putting St Albans into a 3-1 lead. Beatrice Fitzsimons on target with a reply for Cambridge straight away to set up a tense finish. Into the final minute Cambridge winning a penalty. St Albans going down to 10 with Lacey Kavanagh-Blake receiving a 2nd yellow for kicking the ball away. Tonks to take has to score to force the game into extra-time. The ball struck home to make it 3-3. Into extra-time a player advantage now for Cambridge, Karly Tolentino seeing an effort come back off the post, the hosts taking the lead for the first time in the match to clinch a hard fought victory with Fitzsimons on target for her 2nd of the game to see the club through to 3rd Round Qualifying and a home tie against fellow South East Division One side AFC Basildon Women.