The Round-Up – FA Women’s Cup 03/12/17

The Round-Up

Sunday 3rd Dec

FA Women’s Cup

This weekend saw the FA Women’s Cup reach the 2nd Round Proper when the sides from the FAWPL Northern and Southern Division enter the competition, 24 ties played up and down the country 11 of those ties featuring sides playing in the leagues covered by Women’s Football East, and it’s those ties that feature in this edition of The Round-Up.

Harlow Town Ladies were the only ERWFL side left in the FA Women’s Cup a tremendous achievement already by the Division One South newcomers making history to get this far were drawn away in the 2nd Round to FAWPL South East Division One side Luton Town Ladies in good form themselves with one defeat in their last 9 matches. It was the underdogs who took the lead in the game Chloe Bassett putting Harlow Town Ladies 1-0 up in the 15th minute. Held onto the narrow advantage going into half-time. Luton Town coming back to level the scores early in the 2nd half Jess McKay finding the back of the net the FAWPL side then went on to take the lead Kim Farrow making it 2-1 with 15 minutes left to play. Harlow kept battling and Bassett scored again with 2 minutes left on the clock to make it 2-2 and take the tie into extra-time. Neither side looking like it was going to find a winning goal in the extra 30 minutes penalties looming McKay scoring a worldie late on to send Luton Town through to the 3rd Round Proper and break Harlow Town hearts. A fantastic run by the lower league side running Luton so close.

Extra-time was going to be a feature of the day with several times needing to be settled in the extra 30 minutes. FAWPL South West Division One side Brislington Ladies were one of those as they hosted higher league opponents Swindon Town Ladies in the 2nd Round Proper. Goals from Polly Wardle and Jodie Arkell in the 2nd half seeing Brislington drawing with Swindon Town 2-2 after 90 minutes of play. Another late goal in extra-time settling the tie Arkell scoring her 2nd of the game deep into extra-time to send Brislington into the 3rd Round Proper with a 3-2 win.

   FAWPL Southern Division side Gillingham FC Ladies were hosting Plymouth Argyle Ladies from South West Division One in the 2nd Round Proper on Sunday. Zoe Cunningham getting the visitors off to a prefect start putting Plymouth 1-0 inside 2 minutes. Gillingham found a levelling goal in the 20th minute Jade Keogh scoring from a corner. 1-1 that was how the scores remained for the rest of the 90 minutes the tie going to extra-time. Natasha Knapman scoring to put Plymouth into the lead in the 12th minute of extra-time, Ezme Wells made it 3-1 in the 2nd period of extra play to ensure Plymouth a happy journey on the long journey home as they booked their place in the 3rd Round Proper.

Another 2nd Round Proper tie going all the way to extra-time was the all FAWPL Southern Division clash between Chichester City Ladies and C&K Basildon Ladies the Essex side in great form 2nd in the league as they made the journey south on Sunday. Chichester taking an early lead Jess Lewry putting the home side 1-0 up on 7 minutes. Thing’s got worse for C&K Basildon 4 minutes later when they were reduced to 10, Amy Nash shown a straight red card. Despite this the visitors got back on level terms midway through the 2nd half awarded a penalty kick, captain Zoe Rushen sending the ball home to make it 1-1. The visitors going on to take the lead Therese Addison with the goal to see C&K Basildon lead 2-1 at half-time. Jade Widdows got it back to 2-2 for Chichester early in the 2nd half. With neither able to find a winning goal in the 90 at 2-2 the game went into extra-time. Late in the 1st period Chichester took the lead captain Emma Alexandre scoring to make it 3-2. Time left in the 1st period of extra-time and the hosts doubled their lead Cherelle Khassel with the goal sealing a 4-2 win for Chichester.

Women’s Football East headed down to Hertfordshire at the weekend to watch the all FAWPL South East Division One, FA Women’s Cup 2nd Round Proper tie between Stevenage Ladies and Ipswich Town Ladies. History already made for Stevenage Ladies reaching the 2nd Round Proper were hosting a in form Ipswich Town Ladies side unbeaten in 8 going into the match. A competitive game Stevenage starting well opening the scoring in the 20th minute striker Amy Makewell inside the box turning a right wing cross home. Both sides giving it their all in an all action tie Stevenage leading 1-0 at half-time.

Sophie Welton bringing the ball forwards for Ipswich Town Ladies

 Ipswich Town had threatened from corners earlier in the game coming close on two occasions eventually scoring the equaliser from a 3rd midway through the 2nd half Natasha Thomas rising highest at the near post to make it 1-1. That the score after 90 minutes the tie heading into extra-time both goalkeepers making saves to keep the scores level two excellent save from Ipswich Town’s Sian Fagg to deny Stevenage both sides trying to find a winning goal neither managing the tie to be settled with penalties, a lottery it was Stevenage to take the 1st, missed they saw their next saved before a 2nd miss, Ipswich scoring both their opening penalties it was Gemma Moore a late introduction to the pitch in extra-time to take the visitors 3rd penalty she scored to see Ipswich Town Ladies advance to the 3rd Round Proper.

New London Lionesses were the lowest ranked side left in the FA Women’s Cup playing in the 7th tier were hosting FAWPL Southern Division side, Crystal Palace Ladies in the 2nd Round Proper of the competition. Their run coming to an end as Crystal Palace booked their place in the 3rd Round Proper with a 3-0 win, Megan Chandler, Stefanie Simmons and Gemma Bryan scoring the goals.

A late winning goal scored 5 minutes from time saw FAWPL Southern Division side, Cardiff City Ladies go through to the 3rd Round Proper of the FA Women’s Cup as they faced a possible upset away to South East Division One high flyers Milton Keynes Dons Ladies. The sides goalless up until the 85th minute Jasmine Turner introduced to the game in the 2nd half popping up with the winning goal for Cardiff City Ladies.

   FAWPL South East Division One leaders, AFC Wimbledon Ladies were hosting Southern Division side Portsmouth FC Ladies in the 2nd Round Proper of the FA Women’s Cup on Sunday. Ingrid Asplund putting the lower league side into an early 7th minute lead Wimbledon held onto the advantage going into half-time. Portsmouth levelling the tie with 7 minutes played in the 2nd half Samantha Quayle making it 1-1 the visitors going on to win the tie 2-1 to reach the 3rd Round Proper with Amelia Southgate scoring the winner.

FAWPL Southern Division side Lewes FC Women were hosting Enfield Town Ladies from South East Division One in the 2nd Round Proper on Sunday reached the 3rd Round Proper of the FA Women’s Cup with a comfortable result helped by an early goal Danielle Lane scoring in the 4th minute, Rebecca Carter putting Lewes 2-0 up inside the opening quarter hour. Lane adding her 2nd of the game late in the 1st half the lead 4-0 at the break with Charlotte Owens scoring in stoppage time. Two quickfire goals on 51 and 53 minutes put Lewes 6-0 up early in the 2nd half with Lane going on to complete her hat-trick on the hour mark to see Lewes win 7-0.

 Coventry United Ladies were drawn at home in the 2nd Round Proper of the FA Women’s Cup to fellow Southern Division side West Ham United Ladies, close 2-1 wins home and away to Coventry recently in the league the home side won for a 3rd time on Sunday. Marie Gauntlett’s 16th minute goal seeing Coventry leading 1-0 at half-time. West Ham United getting back on level terms early in the 2nd half Chenise Austin scoring in the 52nd minute. It didn’t take Coventry long to restore their lead Keeley Davies making it 2-1 2 minutes later. The hosts then went on to secure the win with 4 more goals Alison Hall, Anna Wilcox, Helen Dermody and Laura Cooper all on target in a 6-1 win.

In the other all FAWPL Southern Division tie played in the 2nd Round Proper of the FA Women’s Cup league leaders Charlton Athletic Women were at home in an London derby with Queen’s Park Rangers Ladies on Sunday. An own goal scored with 41 minutes played giving Charlton the lead Charlotte Gurr scored to make it 2-0 just before the half-time break. Gurr added a 2nd goal early in the 2nd half before going on to score a hat-trick with captain Kimberley Dixson adding a 5th goal with 20 minutes left to play to see Charlton into the 3rd Round Proper draw.

   Made on Monday the 3rd Round Proper draw for the FA Women’s Cup sees 12 ties to be played in the New Year on the 7th of January all 12 listed below. The winners receiving £1000.

Cardiff City Ladies v Burnley Ladies

Fylde Ladies v Plymouth Argyle Ladies

Keynsham Town Ladies v Brislington Ladies

Huddersfield Town Ladies v Lewes FC Women

Leicester City Women v Bradford City Women

Newcastle United Women v The New Saints Ladies

Blackburn Rovers Ladies v Portsmouth FC Ladies

Derby County Ladies v Brighouse Town Ladies or Wolverhampton Wanderers Ladies

Ipswich Town Ladies v Charlton Athletic Women

Crystal Palace Ladies v Coventry United Ladies

Middlesborough Women v Liverpool Marshalls Feds Ladies

Chichester City Ladies v Luton Town Ladies